The MultiFarrow® is designed and developed in close cooperation with a pig farmer in Hoge Hexel, The Netherlands and produced by Nijenkamp BV.
It has a temporary crate in place for farrowing with a design that gives the sow an opportunity to be loose during lactation. In order to allow the piglets and sow to feed from the same area during lactation there is a Verba Feeder.
The sow is given
- Space to move freely (if the crate is left open by lifting the side rails)
- The opportunity to nest-build (if the crate is left open pre-farrowing and suitable substrate is provided that can be used with the fully slatted floor)
- Support in lying-down situations
- Opportunity to contact neighbouring sow (if the sow is loose)
- Close contact with piglets in creep
- Opportunity to eat with piglets
The piglets are given
- Easy access to the creep area with a good microclimate
- Opportunity to eat and drink with the sow
- Safe udder access (when crate closed post-farrowing)
- Reduced spread of infection between pens
The staff are ensured
- Safe separation of sow from staff without entering pen (crate shuts from passageway and multiple escape routes in pen)
- Fast and safe inspection of piglets in creep from passageway
- Easy cleaning as crate and creep covers can be lifted
- Easy loading and unloading of pigs with the front of pen opening out completely
How to build a MultiFarrow®
View a video of the MultiFarrow® on YouTube.
Download more information about MultiFarrow® here.
Nijenkamp offers different sizes and designs of farrowing accommodation.
For more information please go to www.nijenkamp.co.uk