The Danish Free Farrower (FF) was developed in a collaborative project between Aarhus University, The Danish Animal Welfare Society, housing industry (including Skiold) and the Danish Pig Research Centre at SEGES.
The sow is given:
- Freedom of movement at all times
- Opportunity to nest-build
- Support in lying-down situations
The piglets are given:
- Improved udder access
- Appropriate creep environment
- Reduced spread of infection between pens
The staff are assured:
- Fast and safe inspection of piglets
- Easy maintenance of good hygiene in the pens
- Easy provision of nest building materials
How to Build a Danish FF Pen
For more information about the Danish FF please contact Dr Vivi Aarestrup Moustsen, email firstname.lastname@example.org.