Simple pens are those that have just one area for the sow, and generally try to occupy a similar footprint to the conventional farrowing crate. As there is no defined dunging area most simple pens are fully or partially slatted to assist with hygiene. Piglet creeps are also provided.
The sow is given:
- Freedom of movement at all times
The piglets are given:
- Easy udder access
- Appropriate creep environment
- Reduced spread of infection between pens
The staff are assured:
- Easy inspection of piglets
- Easy maintenance of good hygiene in the pens
How to build a Simple Pen
There are no specific dimensions for building a simple pen. If the aim is to occupy a similar footprint as the farrowing crate the floor space will be at least 3.6 square meters.
Recommendations if building a Simple Pen
- Flooring should be at least partially slatted to allow the legal requirement of providing substrate for nest building.
- Piglet protection features should be provided. For options please visit specific pen features.
- Consider a large creep with enough space to allow all piglets (from birth to weaning) access for lying at any one time. For dimensions please visit our piglet creep designs page.