The BeFree is a farrowing pen developed by Schauer with the possibility to temporarily confine the sow. It has a spatial footprint of 6m2 which includes 0.72m2 piglet nest. When the crate is open 4m2 is available to the sow.
Read more about the development of the BeFree pen.
View the BeFree product video.
The sow is given:
- Space to move freely (if crate left open)
- The opportunity to nest-build (if the crate is left open pre-farrowing and suitable substrate is provided that can be used with part-slatted floor)
The piglets are given:
- Large nest/creep area with lid
- Safe udder access (when crate closed post-farrowing)
- Reduced spread of infection between pens
The staff are ensured:
- Safe separation of sow from staff when crate closed.
- Easy crate-opening and closing
- Fast and safe inspection of piglets in creep from passageway
- Simple locking of the piglet closing flap
- Closing flap at the piglet nest with a ventilation slot
- Tiltable trough with rack for fodder and separate “sow-piglet-drinking trough”
BeFree in operation
View videos of the BeFree in operation on commercial farms in Germany and France.
How to build a BeFree pen
Contact Schauer for more information: http://www.schauer-agrotronic.com